We decided to book into Pontins in Camber Sands for 4 nights - never been to Pontins, but thought the kids would love it and it was sooooooooo cheap - 90 pounds for 4 nights! We also chose to go to Kent to see Aunty Anne & Uncle Bruce and our friends from Taipei, Sharon & Wayne and their girls Freya & Jasmine.
Pontins was actually a pleasant surprise - we were a bit worried after reading some online reviews, but our apartment was great - large and airy and bright and had a twin bedroom that the girls could sleep in and the large lounge/kitchen had a double sofa-bed for Andrew and I. It was all clean and linen was spotless. Nice!
The entertainment was a bit disappointing for the kids - I think as it wasn't school holidays yet, the children's entertainment wasn't up to par but the girls still had fun. I don't usually like to criticise too much, but there were just some things that they could have done to make it a bit more fun, without going to too much trouble. I kept thinking back to my 3 month work placement as a red coat at Bognor Regis Butlins and comparing. I think Butlins is by far the better choice.
The first night, after check-in, we watched a 'Captain Crocodile' show, followed by a cabaret/comedy/singing show by three men. It was actually quite good - although relying heavily on 1970's style comedy i.e. gay jokes and Benny Hill style jokes, but some of their songs were really funny. The next day we spent at the beach - Oh my God - although the weather wasn't s bad, the wind was FREEZING and it was like Cyclone Tracey by the sea! Annalise didn't care though and decided to strip down to her new bikini and splash and swim in the sea!!! Juliette and I cuddled up and Andrew bought a kite which was ace but broke after about 2 minutes!!! On a good day, the beach would be absolutely beautiful - the sand is so clean and white and the sea is just gorgeous.
The afternoon was spent at the kid's club - playing in the ball gym place and the outdoor play-park which was great as Andrew & I could sit outdoors at the pub and keep an eye on the girls!! The play park had a large wooden fence around it and there was only one tiny entrance/exit which was just by the outdoor pub seats so we knew the girls were safe!!
That night, the girls boogied with the 'Bluecoats' at the kid's disco and then we wet back to the pub for a quiz - but it was completely crap!
Do have to tell a funny story though. There are a number of different venues at Pontins, all with different events at them. The only itineraries were up in reception, so I went to reception and asked if i could have a copy - the lady said "Oh, I'm sorry - we always usually give all guests a copy, but our photocopier is broken. " As she said this, I looked into the office behind her at a bluecoat using the photocopier and printing numerous copies of something. I was so flabbergasted at the blatant lie, all I said was "thank you for your honesty" and walked away. On the way to Andrew, I thought of loads of great responses, but don't you always after the event! If only I could be a witty person!!Wednesday, we drove to Faversham, to see My Aunty Anne & Uncle Bruce. We had such a fantastic day with them and then my cousin David came for the last few hours which was so nice. Aunty Anne is the sister that looks so much like Mum - it's uncanny sometimes how much she sounds/looks/gestures like Mummy did.
We had a lovely day with them and left to get back to Pontins, just before it got dark. (Which is late in the UK at summertime - about 9.30ish!)
That night we saw more cabaret acts and then fell into bed about midnight.
The next day, Wayne and the girls came up to spend the day with us - Sharon was supposed to, but she is due with her third baby (a boy - yipeee!) in about 3 weeks and her blood pressure had suddenly gone up to worrying heights so was put on bedrest. We had a fabulous day with them and Annalise was so exited to be with her friends again. I think it's so important for her to keep in touch with the close friends she made in Taipei. I was so sorry to not see Sharon but we'll just have to wait till next summer when we'll all meet again for their wedding in Corfu!!

The next day was our last day - we checked out about 10ish and then went to a beautiful little village called 'Rye' for breakfast, which was full of old Tudor style beamed and wonky buildings and cobble-stoned roads. We then drove up to Westerham to see Sharon & Wayne's cottage - we were hoping to see Sharon, but she wasn't well at all, but we had a gorgeous Italian meal with Wayne and then we made the drive back to Coventry. A great little holiday!
No comments:
Post a Comment