Tuesday, August 11, 2009

'Bloody' Sleep Deprivation


So.....the girls have been completely and utterly jet lagged since Saturday. After sleeping in till 11.30am on Saturday, the day after we arrived back, they both found themselves unable to sleep until 7am the next morning!! The fact that they couldn't sleep, meant that I didn't sleep till 7am either (Andrew managed to get some sleep through the night whilst I stayed up with them...now, that's a surprise!!) So, like the vicious circle of jet lag, we slept int till 2pm Sunday afternoon and so, yet again, instead of being fresh and bushy tailed for our first day back to school yesterday, the girls didn't pass out until 5.30am Monday morning (yet another night of staying up all night with them) and so Andrew and I managed to get a total of 1 hours sleep before our alarm went off at 6.30am ready for work.

Having had far too little sleep in a 48 hour period, Andrew and I were a bit nauseous all day and heasd-achy, but I decided that I would spend each afternoon this week showing our maids how to cook some nice food for us and whilst chopping onions, in my tired stupour, I managed to chop some of the top of my finger off, leaving a huge crater in my finger, very little nail left, much blood and mess on the chopping board and over the floor. It had that look of a slight massacre!

After quickly shoving antiseptic on it, wrapping it all up in trillions of plasters I decided that I'd be OK and didn't need the Dr.s
However, it continued to bleed most of the afternoon and then night and there was a fleeting moment where Andrew helped me to change the dressing and put ice on it to stop the bleeding where I threw up because of the pain. I spent most of last night dealing with the 'throb' and the fact that yet again, my little darlings didn't sleep till 4.45am last night and whilst sitting in a meeting at work a couple of hours later, the blood started gushing again and the school nurse carted me off to the emergency room.

The Dr said the 'gouge', which I take as being the 'chunk' I took off, was too large across for stitches, but he and the nurses cleaned it all up, checked whilst I writhed in agony (I am a complete baby though!) that I hadn't severed a nerve (I haven't as it was sooooo bloody painful!) gave me a painkiller or anaesthetic in my finger, packed it and dressed it and he has put me on pain meds and antibiotics. I have to go back every three days for a change of dressing and check that all is healing as it should. I'm not sure what the damage is - it looks pretty disgusting, but I'm hoping it's all just superficial. The Dr said that it should be OK. We'll just have to see. I never considered my hands to be particularly beautiful anyway so it's not like I've destroyed a potential modelling career!
So. I came home from work today and had 2 and a half hours of precious sleep and am now feeling a lot better, albeit sorry for myself.
The girls, having been forced to go to school on very little sleep last night, as I type at 9pm, are tucked away in bed, and I am crossing everything I have (except my wounded finger!) that they will remain asleep for the most part of the night.
I will post a photo Andrew got of the girls going to school today in their school uniform - look at them! You'd think from the photo they were refreshed after a good night's sleep. How?!! Andrew and I look like death!! Oh to be 4 or 2 again!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how are you now my poor little sister?