Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Safe.


Ok. Been a while since I wrote properly. So, the day after writing my 'We're OK post', Bahrain imploded. We were 'urged' to leave/evacuate by the embassy and the school - which led to full-scale panic here in Bahrain. The embassy started putting on charter planes for people to get out who couldn't get out by commercial means, as the army took over the country.

I need to be careful what I write here, so won't say anything more. Except that we left for four nights to Doha, had a fantastic time with the family who then made their way back to Melbourne after their holiday was cut short! And then we were called back by the school and government to teach our examination kids and then this week, have gone to full time teaching all the year groups and from today, and for the next 5 weeks of teaching, have extended days and timetables to try to recoup some of the lost teaching time.

School has been interesting, as we started with very low numbers, but gradually, each day, more families are coming back. There are, still, though, many families/companies who remain away so classes are small.

We are safe. But, there is trouble every afternoon/evening. We don't venture out at night, unless it's to just around the corner to friends or to the Dilmun Club. We know that 'we' are not targets. As I type, we are hearing helicopters, gunshots, tear gas canisters popping. This is a regular occurance at the moment. All the outbreaks are being controlled by the defense forces.


I have more updating to do, but will get to it soon.


As for now, we are carrying on as normally as possible, getting used to the sounds of protests, fighting, seeing tanks and army and going through checkpoints.

Life is still good, albeit unsettling.

No comments: