Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!
Hope you all had a wonderful time.
We had a great Halloween.

It started the night before when I carved pumpkins with the girls - Annalise and Juliette drew a face and ears on it and I carved it out - they did a GREAT job!! We then cooked pumpkin pies with the insides and roasted and salted the pumpkin seeds - what a little team of chefs we made!




The first pumpkin pie was gorgeous. The second one, I left in the oven too long (I forgot about it and did the nightly routine of bath and books and bed and then smelt burning.....uh oh!)


The next day at school was Halloween all round - the Americans are of course really into it and so we had a huge assembly first thing where everyone had to parade on the stage in their costumes and then classes put on little shows. My class did a Halloween rap to Eminem instrumental music - they did really well although they had been 'getting down and groovy' in the classroom bug time during rehearsals and then when they got on the stage in front of the whole school they were struck by stage fright! It was very cute, but they managed it to remember their lines and rapped quite well, even though the 'dancing enthusiasm' had gone a touch!


After that, the High School Student Council (led by Andrew) had put on a fabulous haunted house which was the talk of the school. My class were so spooked by it though. I ended up having to go inside with seven of the Grade 5 girls clinging to me for dear life and two of my boys ran back outside crying !!! Ha ha! It was excellent, but quite scary really because it was mostly in complete darkness except for some UV lighting and torches. They did it really well though and had a coffin with someone lying in it and smoke and hands grabbing from behind sheets of material and whispering etc etc.


After school, I'd organised a 'trick or treating' party for the teachers' kids - I asked some staff if they would mind staying in their classrooms for 15 mins after school so our little ones could come round and trick or treat and it went down a storm! The kids all dressed up (Annalsie went as 'Snow White' ofcourse and Juliette went as a fairy) and all the children were squealing in delight the whole way round. Annalise and Juliette were so happy! They went round each classroom, knocking on the door and said 'Trick or Treat!' and then thrust their baskets forward to get the sweets!


After that, I then had all the kids come back to our house to decorate Halloween cookies and eat orange frosted chocolate cup cakes - YUM! Then the staff all came over for Friday drinks which was fab and the last stragglers left just before 11pm - sounds early, but we had been going since 3pm so not bad!


The girls have sooooooo much candy and chocolate. I pray that their teeth take after me, rather than Andrews!

No comments: