Monday, April 11, 2011

School Dress Ups! & Parent's Meetings...

Annalise and Juliette's year groups have heaps of dress up days. (In fact, the whole Junior school does!) Above is Annalise's class Knights and Princesses Day - they were studying Medieval castles.
Just before the school closure last month, it was book character day at school. Annalise dressed up as Rapunzel, and Juliette was Belle. Above is Annalise cuddling her friends Olivia and Lucy.
Beautiful little sisters.
Lucy, Annalise and Juliette (Lucy lives on our compound and the girls travel together everyday to school and back with a driver.)


Today was 'Victorian Day' for Annalise. I am hoping some of the Mums at school in her class will send me some pics of her. I made her costume - simple black and white maid's costume and apparently she was given a Victorian name 'Beatrice' for the day, had to pay a penny for her education and used slate and chalk and if they were naughty or got a question wrong, they had to wear the 'Dunce's Hat'...Annalise was very proud that she in fact did not have to wear it because, in her own words 'Of course, I didn't wear it! I am the cleverest in my class!'....


Andrew and I attended parents evening last Thursday.

Andrew is taking all the credit for having 'gifted' daughters. Hah!

The teacher said that Annalise could be dropped into Year 2 right now and would hold her own, if not better than the kids there. She's reading, writing and has numeracy skills she should aim to have at the end of Year 2 level and that he will be suggesting to the Year 2 teacher next year that she work at a National Curriculum level 3 (By the end of Year 1, student should reach the bottom stage of Level 1). We're very proud, but I think it is that she was pushed so much in Jakarta that she is above average AT THE MOMENT - I reckon things will even out soon enough.

He did say, though, that she is quite happy to not do extension questions and that we should push her as she is clearly gifted....I am hesitant to do this as I don't want her going off school like she did in Jakarta because she is being pushed too much. It's a fine line. We also don't want her to be a nerd!


Juliette is doing super well too - the top of her class, along with another girl, and apparently is an absolute angel, and a superstar at school - I think she tries so hard at school and is so well behaved that this is the reason she is such a little Madam and terror at home!

Juliette came home today and said "Mummy, you know symmetry?' er...you are 4 and are in nursery, why do you even know a word like this? "Yes, what about it?" I replied.

"Well, Mummy, do you know that most shapes have symmetry, and that every animal has symmetry too? Even us humans. We have the same things on both sides - an arm, leg, eye, ear each side. "

"Wow! How do you know that?"

"oh, I just do...I'm clever like that .....Mummy, do you know, if you had a car accident, and your arm fell off, then you wouldn't have symmetry anymore...."

Moving swiftly on.....

No comments: