Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hospital Visits

We snuck (is that a word?!) out of school early today to go to the hospital to finally get vaccinations for the girls. We didn't give any vaccinations at all last year, so in my guilt and efforts to cross off another one of my list of things we have to do before we leave, I decided today was the day.
The visit ended up with me having my first ever mammogram; I have been putting it off since I turned 35 in November and finally sucked it up and went to the radiology department after getting the girls' vaccinated today at the local hospital.
I thought I would be just making an appointment, but they said they could do it there and then, so I sucked it up even more and did it. I AM SO BRAVE. Agree?

The Dr telephoned about 30 mins ago to say that it was all clear. YAY for me!!! Very relieved. Not that I was worried, but you just never know.

It was incredibly easy, relatively stress free and in all honesty, didn't hurt THAT much. I thought it would be very painful but I think four and a half years of continuous breastfeeding and having my boobs pulled, stretched, bitten, pinched, grabbed (you get the picture) made having a mammogram a piece of cake in comparison! Perhaps the fact that I most probably have 'National Geographic boobs' as a result might have helped!! (Your boobs do really get squished...)

I thought this cartoon was quite apt..

The girls on the other hand.....you'd have thought they were going to be tortured the way they carried on when we went into the Dr.s office.
Actually, that's not being fair.

Juliette was very brave and only screamed after two needles were simultaneously jabbed into her two little thighs. I think it always hurts more on the leg. The Dr. said that she was a little too 'little' for the arm this time. (Do you know, Juliette has only put on 4 kilos since June 2008? 4 kilos in 2 years!! She now weighs, as of today's hospital 'weigh-in', 14.1 kilos. My little fairy - I wish I had her genes!)
I would be so happy if all I've put on is 4 kilos in 2 years.

Our other little monkey, Annalise, well, she was kicking, screaming, crying, punching, biting even, before the needles were brought out - she wouldn't even let the Dr. look in her ears or her throat. However, with Daddy, Mummy, a Nurse and a Dr holding her down, she had her injection in her arm and then she said 'Oh! That didn't hurt at all!' after all the trauma! Yes......
Perhaps I shouldn't warn her next time.

We have to go back in a month for one more injection each. The very controversial MMR (second dose) for Annalise and Chicken Pox for Juliette which we forgot to give her at 15 months. (oops.)

After that, Annalise will be finished until her Rubella jab pre-teen and Juliette will have a year or so reprieve until her next MMR. Poor things.

We took the girls to have frozen yoghurt after their 'bravery'.

Frozen yoghurt is our new found delight and I am encouraging it ten-fold as the girls adore ice cream so much but it is soooooo not healthy to have it every day! So frozen yoghurt is a happy alternative - I am actually adoring it more than the real thing!! Here, they serve it with dollops of fresh fruit - kiwis, passion fruit, strawberries - yummy!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMR not so controversial now you know... the original research making some tentative link with and autism and consultant who carried it out has been completely discredited. Far more dangerous has been the number of children getting measles because they have not been vaccinated.
AM xx

Anonymous said...

Sorry... just realised that last post sounded like a lecture... didnt mean it to... just meant you didnt need to feel at all guilty or worried... can't wait to see you all...
AM x

Kathryn said...

Ha ha AM - I didn't think you were lecturing! I know there's no 'real' problem with the MMR - heck, I have already given the first dose to both the girls, but I have to admit I still couldn't help worrying inside when they each got their first dose at 18 months!
Can't wait to see you too. Will skype this weekend. xxx