Monday, September 7, 2009

At a safe distance from the Fertility Canon

Posted by Picasa
Si Jagur is a large canon in the back of the Fatahillah museum . It is a 200 tonne relic left over from when the Portuguese were in occupation back in the 1500's and has a Latin inscription saying ' I become reborn outside of me'.
The other side is a fist with the thumb peeping between the index finger and the middle finger.
Back then it symbolised invincibility ...but Indonesians see it as a fertility icon.
Lots of woman have pushed their tummy against the fist, and their partners sit astride the top and they pray for the child they cannot conceive.
Apparently, many are incredibly lucky, with numerous reports of twins.
This action is now forbidden by the government.
Anyway, it was a nice story about a rather beautiful canon, although I kept my distance just incase - I didn't touch it....I am just now finally enjoying my uninterrupted night sleeps!
Although, today, when we got home from school, Annalise asked when we were going to have her baby brother. When Andrew and I said "oh, not for a long while...", her response was "But I sat on the canon and prayed!" uh oh!!

No comments: