Saturday, September 26, 2009

Holiday is Over.... :(

Almost!
Yes. Very depressing! Only one more day and then it's back to work. Mind you, work is pretty great so I haven't got anything to complain about!

Annalise, however, is sitting at the dining table doing her homework. Trying to do all of it. They gave her enough for the week we have been away. She is trying to do it in two days! Poor kid.

Actually though, she is keen. I wonder how long that will last? She's been at it about 20 minutes so far.

All wonderfully interesting stuff like:
Writing her full name 10 times in her best handwriting.
Writing the numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 in words 10 times each. (fun....)
Math - adding numbers up to 20. (She loves this....does not take after me. It must be the Grandad genes as she adores maths.)
Bahasa Indonesian - this is where Andrew and I have to use the Internet and use online translations to decipher what is being asked of her.
Mandarin - We have given up. I just usually tell Annalise to just colour the pictures as I have no idea what is being asked of her. And I don't know how to write the Chinese characters to work out on an online translator what she needs to do.
Why not ask the teacher to write it in English, you may ask?
We have. And it doesn't work. We just get notes saying 'please support Annalise in her Mandarin and Bahasa, oh and by the way, she is a star pupil at English.'
Yes. That's a surprise!
We are blessed that she is a clever little thing though. Most of the time she enjoys school.

In our next teaching post, I do so hope that the girls get to enjoy a little of their school life rather than have to sit down and study all day. With boring things such as writing repetitive 'lines'.
I can't wait for Annalise to go to a school that has 'play' at the centre of everything. I hope we haven't left it too late.... if only she had been old enough to go to our school...
Which moves me smoothly onto the next topic....

The end of this holiday also means....job hunting.

We have finally sorted our flights to Australia for Xmas plus flights back to Jakarta via Bangkok for the Search Associates Teaching Recruiting fairs.

We sooooo do not want to do move, but we just have to suck it up and start to see the adventure of moving as exciting. It would be if we had been able to spend more than two years here. The board have said they may not be able to tell us until May whether the school remains open or not, and for us, with the little ones, that's just too late.

So, we have to get excited. And start applying.
What sucks is that Andrew has just got himself up and running with an admin post that he is enjoying and then we have to start again.

I am happy to go anywhere. He is more particular. That's why we get on so well I expect!

Harry Deelman (those who know me well, know that name) has been wonderful and our invites to the fair in January have all been sorted. Now it's just a matter of sifting through all the schools around the world and firing off applications. Joy.

So. We'll be in Bangkok from the 6th to the 10th of January. Hopefully Stephen & Lauren will be there that weekend to help us with child minding as last time we were there it cost us the best part of US$1000 in hotel babysitting for the three days! eeeekkkkk.
Is there anyone else who can be around then to help out?! Please let me know.

And Annalise, 30 minutes into it has given up. Not a bad effort for a 4 year old. Will have to do it in shifts tomorrow!

And my holiday is over as I now have to do some lesson prep. Woooooooohahhhhhh!

No comments: