Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hot and Bothered


Just have to say before I start, YAYYYYYYYYY for Vincent and his very cute walking! I love how he looks so pleased with himself in the video on Anne-marie's blog. Well done little cutie pie. Now, there's no stopping you and your little feet!
(I just bought Juliette her first pair of crocs - bright red and she LOVVVVVVVVVVVVES them! Although, I think she has MUCH bigger feet than Vincent. She is wearing a pair of Mothercare 5's at the moment so we will have to call her flipperfeet in comparison to her little cousin!)
Had our third shipping company come for an estimate today - and they said that we had 6 cubic metres, like our first one, and very different from stinky breath man, so we are looking forward to getting the quotations on email over the next couple of days.

We took Andrew's car in to the garage for a check up, as we were hoping to sell it, but got news back that his car needs a new transmission as well plus a variety of other things, so have resigned ourselves to the fact that it is going to have to be dumped. We just can't afford to get it fixed and the amount that we would gain - about 20,000 NT, is just not worth all the bother and effort. The money Gods are definitely NOT shining on us this year. On the positive side, though, it can't get any worse and come August, when there are two salaries coming in again, we should be AOK once again!


After lunch, we were invited to Julie (who has Amy)'s house for a last playdate as they are on the plane tomorrow to UK (to see Neil's family) and then onto the USA to see Julie's side for the majority of summer.

We had a lovely afternoon - playing and eating dinner with them and swapping leaving gifts and saying our goodbyes, but halfway through the afternoon, Annalise became very lethargic and sleepy and just wanted to be cuddled. I felt her head and, my, was she hot! Julie took her temp with the ear thermometer and it was 39.5 (about 103 degrees) which was rather worrying as Annalise doesn't do well with temperatures. (For those that don't know, she has funny turns if her temp gets over 40 degrees - a sort of febrile convulsion, but without the convulsions - just the breathing stopping) and so we panicked a little and shoved the equivalent of calpol down her in rather a large amount and put cool towels over her. After a couple of hours the temp had gone down to 38 degrees, which was better but not great.

Dr.s have recommended to us that basically, if she has a temp of 38, to get it down as quickly as possible as it gets very high very quickly after that, and apparently when it gets to 42, that's when her brain shuts down and she stops breathing. Suffice it to say, I'm usually very good at checking her temp - I do it most days and am quite vigilant with the old medicine if she has even a little bit of a raised temp. No idea what happened today as it seemed to come on so quickly.

Anyway, her lethargy disappeared and though she still felt hot to touch, she actually went back to playing and eating her dinner, so I hoped it was just some kind of freak thing. But, having come home at 6.30pm, her temp is back up again - was 39.8 and so I shoved more calpol down her and she finally went to sleep in my arms and then I put her on the chair - hence the picture. Have just checked on her, and it's still 39. 7 but can't give her any more drugs for another two hours. Will be keeping an eye on her temperature for most of the night now - I am fully prepared for a very disrupted night's sleep, but I do have the hospital issued suppositories that they gave us here a while ago in the event that we couldn't get her temp down orally, so will use them if it doesn't get better.

I hate it when my little ones are sick. (Doesn't every parent?!)
I hate it even more when I don't know why they have a temperature.
With Annalise, I'm scared she'll stop breathing again and need to be resuscitated, and with Juliette, I'm scared she'll be like her sister and stop breathing.
She's obviously fighting something off.
Let's hope she manages to do it quickly!

No comments: